Guests are now able to fly to Vaalwater, located just 15 minutes from the Welgevonden Game Reserve. There are also flight connections from Vaalwater to Madikwe Game Reserve, and or the Kruger region.
Safari Air Wing
Tel: +27 (0) 11 465 7262 or Cell +27 (0) 83 326 4735
Travelling by road to Makweti is easy and comfortable, whichever way you come. Typically, a transfer service will collect you in Johannesburg, from your airport arrival-point or hotel. After a journey of some three hours on regular freeways and roads, you will enter the main gate to our wilderness reserve. Here a safari vehicle will collect you, to bring you through big game country to the Lodge. (This last leg of the journey is about half an hour’s drive on a bush road.). A note of reassurance to self-drivers: the national freeways and feeder roads to Makweti are mostly “world class”, with well-maintained tar surfaces. They are entirely suitable for a standard rental sedan or hatchback. You will park your rented or private car in our highly secure main gate compound, and then (as with guests who use our shuttle service) be driven by safari vehicle to the Lodge.
DIRECTIONS TO WELGEVONDEN
- Take the N1 north out of Johannesburg/Pretoria.
- Just over 120 km after Pretoria find the Kranskop toll Plaza.
- Take the R33 off-ramp at the toll plaza (keep in the left hand lane) to Modimolle / Nylstroom.
- Drive straight through Modimolle/Nylstroom on the R33 towards Vaalwater.
- Drive straight through Vaalwater on the R510 towards Thabazimbi.
- YOUR DESTINATION IS MAIN GATE WELGEVONDEN GAME RESERVE
- Follow the R510 for 24 km after leaving Vaalwater, the gate is on your left hand side (look out for the sign “Welgevonden Main Gate”)
GPS S 24° 12.150’ E 027° 54.09
PLEASE CALL MAKWETI CAMP +27 (0) 14 755 4949 AS YOU PASS THROUGH MODIMOLE
Special note: Makweti is located some 40 minutes drive from the main access gate into the reserve. Transfers to and from the gate to the camp are offered each day at 13:00 – we request that all guests arriving by road do all possible to oblige the scheduled transfer times on arrival and departure. Alternative transfers must be arranged well in advance and will incur an additional charge.